Monday, April 20, 2009

Happy Fifth Anniversary, Cafe Hayek!

Cafe Hayek passed the five-year mark yesterday. The two economists who write Cafe Hayek -- Don Boudreaux and Russ Roberts -- are clear, direct, consistent, principled, authoritative, and passionate. I have been following them from the beginning, back when comments weren't enabled and before Don adopted his excellent practice of posting on the blog his letters to the editors of various newspapers.

As their blog's title suggests, they are proponents of the economic theories of Friedrich Hayek. They favor individual choice over government management, and take a public-choice view of politics.

Here's one of Don's posts (from June 23, 2005) that hit me like a splash of cold water in the face when I first read it. Its title has stuck with me like few other phrases.

The contribution by Russ that has stuck most in my mind was an Econtalk podcast in which he spoke with economist Mike Munger. If I recall correctly, this was the podcast in which Russ asked us to consider, What kind of person would want the job of being a politician?

# # #

No comments:

Post a Comment